The presence of the internet not only has a positive impact, but also a negative one, although its use aims to facilitate humans in all aspects of life. The Internet is the widest network in information technology systems that allows devices around the world to be connected to each other. Due to the breadth of the internet network, this information technology always brings positive and negative impacts to its users.
A public accessible internet network that transmits data using the Internet Protocol (IP) standard. Information spread on the internet can be accessed through the World Wide Web (www) network either in the form of text, music, photos, videos, or anything else.
In its operational system, the web is served by browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari, and so on.
Quoting from The Guardian, Google handles more than 40,000 searches per second and owns 60 percent of the global browser market through Chrome.
There are nearly two billion websites that exist but most are not visited. Information that can be accessed via the internet is very large and wide.
How to measure the amount of information on the internet is about five exabytes a day. This amount is equivalent to 40,000 films with a duration of two hours per second.
Initially, the internet was a computer network formed by the United States Department of Defense in 1969 through the ARPA (Advanced Research Project Agency) project. Then, ARPA decided to conduct research on how to connect a number of computers to form an organic network.
They connected several UNIX-based computers over long distance telephone lines so that the computers could communicate with each other. UNIX is a computer operating system that started from the Multics project in 1965.
Then, in this project, the shape of the network, reliability, and how much data or information can be transferred from one computer to another is designed.
The first network that was built connected four places, namely the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), the University of California Santa Barbara (UCSB), the University of Utah, and the Stanford Research Institute (SRI). By 1972 the internet had connected more than 20 computers.
ARPANet is the internetworking backbone for educational institutions, research, industry, and contractors, especially those related to military networks.
Positive and Negative Impacts of the Internet
- There are many positive and negative impacts that arise from using the internet. The following are the positive impacts of using the internet:
- Easy to get various information.
- Enables communication between users around the world that is not limited by geography and culture.
- Control work remotely.
- Provide education, health or news services.
- Allows someone who is isolated from the community to interact again.
- Provide a means of entertainment, self-development, and creativity.
- Providing a vehicle for business in cyberspace.
Here are some of the negative effects of using the internet:
- Keeps users isolated from direct social interactions.
- Increase the spread of computer viruses.
- Nothing guarantees the validity or correctness of the information.
- Make it easy for someone to copy the work of others.
- Provide broad opportunities for people who are not responsible for committing crimes.
- Endanger the security of information owned by everyone, for example, business people and governments.